As we get older we all learn life lessons and experiences. We may from time to time have regrets. Just imagine if you could travel back in time and offer your younger self some life lessons.
We have put together a list of the top 25 things your adult self would tell you if you could meet yourself as a child.
- Respect yourself and make sure you get it from others. Stand up for yourself and don’t tolerate bad behaviour from others towards you. You have a voice and you should learn to use it.
- Avoid drama. It is never worth the bother and will end up getting you in all sorts of trouble.
- Be realistic in your expectations. This is not to say you should sell yourself short, just make sure you are being realistic in your views of how things should be. This will help you avoid unnecessary frustration in certain aspects of your life.
- Don’t let negative people with bad attitudes bring you down. Tell yourself they are the ones with the problem and they are simply trying to project their own negativity onto you.
- Life the life you love (and love the life you live). By this we mean make sure you spend time doing the things you actually enjoy and love doing. Don’t enter into a career for example if it’s not something you are passionate about – no matter how tempting the salary!
- Embrace education. As lacklustre as it sounds, an education is key to enabling you to live the best possible life you can. And remember, it’s never too late to start with the studying!
- Be honest and upfront. Even when it might seem the last things you want to be, it makes for a much less complicated life when people know where they stand and what your views are.
- Material things are not the be all and end all. As great as it is, money can’t buy you real happiness and fulfilment. Not the true deep down contentment we all need. Real life experiences and surrounding yourself with quality people are the things that matter and these are the things which money can’t buy!
- Plan for your future. Even making just small steps towards saving for a rainy day in the future will pay dividends when you really need it. Start budgeting as early as possible and it will become a second nature that follows you during the rest of your life.-
- Concentrate on being honest, kind and genuine rather than hot, sexy and cool. These are the qualities that really count in life and the ones that can last a lifetime.
- Enjoy everything in moderation. Don’t over indulge in the naughty but nice things – but don’t restrict yourself too much either. A little bit of what you fancy and all that….!
- Get in shape and stay that way. Get healthy now and it will set you on the right track for the rest of your life.
- Embrace all the opportunities and experiences that become available to you. There will be no better time than your youth, whilst your commitments are still limited, to really LIVE!
- Follow your heart but use your head. Choose a worthy partner for all the right reasons such as they make you feel relaxed, loved and comfortable, not because of their looks or what material things they can offer you.
- Heartbreak will likely be a recurring feature of your youth, and even adulthood, but remember you heart will heal and you will be ready to love again.
- Do not wish your life away. You find out all too soon that all good things come to those who wait and that actually, life does move along at such a swift pace you will soon find yourself trying to turn back the clock!
- Love yourself and spend time with yourself. Only once you truly appreciate and take care of yourself should you let another even attempt to. You really will be your own best friend throughout your life so the sooner you can learn to do this the better.
- Show compassion. Look after those around you and let them know how much you care. You never know when you will such compassion repaying in the future.
- Trust your instincts. When it comes to jobs and relationships alike if you feel something is not quite right for you then move on. Life is too short to spend time living with the wrong decision.
- Have fun! Life really is short and will pass you by in a flash. Be sure you spend plenty of yours embracing exciting and enjoyable experiences, spending time with people who make you laugh so much it hurts. This is what life is about
- Listen to others and take note of others experiences. Especially the older people in your life. You can learn from others mistakes and then hopefully make fewer of your own.
- Travel. Witness and learn about different cultures, taste and enjoy different cuisines, meet and embrace new people. Embrace ALL the big wide world has to offer.
- Don’t be defeated. You will face numerous challenges throughout your youth but don’t give up. It is these challenges and the way you deal with them that will make you stronger and shape your future personality.
- Make time for family and good friends. It can sometimes feel a chore to schedule in time, especially when life is so busy with college/boyfriends/jobs, but these are the people that care about you the most and the ones that will remain by your side along the road ahead.
- Believe that no dream is too big. You can achieve anything you set your mind to.
If you agree why not share using the buttons below.